Justification for upgrading can be boiled down to two reasons: fixes and features.
Sometimes reports created with earlier versions of the software, when certain problems were present, may only be fixed by upgrading the report to a later version of the software. Before you upgrade, we highly suggest contacting the Support Team to check that errors or issues in your report can be resolved by upgrading.
Other times the question of upgrading is prompted by the appearance of exciting new software features. For example, you may be interested in the Population Pyramid chart, or prefer to use icons for contextual geography layers, or need to incorporate new text and images that can now appear in the tooltips of map layers. If so, you will need to ensure the report is created in version 6.5 or later of the InstantAtlas Desktop software. This is because these (and many other) features only became available from version 6.5 onwards.
What’s the easiest and fastest way to upgrade an existing report to the latest version of InstantAtlas?
If you want to upgrade to the latest version of the software, you must possess a valid Maintenance contract. Contact the Support Team if you are unsure whether you or your organisation has one.
When you’re ready to upgrade, log into My InstantAtlas and head to the Maintenance area – but please note, only users with valid Maintenance contracts will be able to do this! Download and install the latest version of the software onto your machine. Then follow the steps below or watch the video to learn how to upgrade the report without losing the edits you made when you created your old report.
- Republish the report using the same template, map files, data.xml file, and settings you used in the older report. Unpack the new report into a new report folder.
- TOP FUTURE-PROOFING TIP: Take this opportunity to use the project file feature in the latest version of the software! It will contain information about everything you set in the Publisher to create your report, including file locations, advanced settings, labelling, opacity, icon files, etc. When you republish the report in the future, you can just upload the project file and the Publisher will pre-fill with all of the correct settings (taken from the project file) for you. (Please note: if you later change the locations of objects, for example, the map files you used, the project file won’t contain those edits.)
- Copy and paste all images (logos, background map tiles, etc) from the old report folder into the new report folder.
- Locate the old config.xml file in your old report folder.
- Go to the Config Upgrade tool, available from My InstantAtlas. Upgrade the config.xml file in your old report folder with the tool. This will create the necessary edits to convert the config.xml file to the latest version of the software. Save the new config.xml file in your new report folder. (If you find that confusing, click the video above to see a step-by-step use of the config.xml upgrade tool in My InstantAtlas.)
- If you are upgrading from 6.5.0, you won’t need to upgrade your default.css files. You can just copy and paste the old default.css file into the new report folder.
- For report versions prior to 6.5.0, upgrading the default.css file is a little more complicated, so we offer to upgrade one default.css file for you for free. Contact us for more details. Your new default.css file can then be used across all of your 6.5.2 reports. Simply drop it into the new report folder, and you’re ready to go.
And that’s it. You’ll have a report with the latest product fixes and features, and hopefully feel more confident about upgrading your reports in the future when new releases occur.
If you have any questions, leave a comment below!